Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Cozaar

Yesterday I started taking Cozaar again. Not so much for the blood pressure (on which it didn't seem to have much effect) but for the possible kidney protection. 

My basic understanding at this point is that when kidney function is reduced, the kidneys work the remaining capacity harder by narrowing the nephron blood vessels (nephrons are the functional parts of the kidneys). This has the effect of damaging the remaining capacity. Cozaar supposedly stops this narrowing, hence reducing kidney function slightly but hopefully slowing new damage.

I don't like taking drugs that react against the body's natural response (as oppose to aiding it) as I don't believe such an approach can solve anything. In this case, however, I feel I need to buy myself time.

1 comment: